Clinical Guideline Development
To complement your organization’s prior authorization system, Clinical Pharmacy Services develops clinical guidelines for those making coverage decisions on those drugs. We have a library of more than 400 guidelines.
Our clinical pharmacists have specialized training that enables them to search for, retrieve, evaluate, and interpret a wide range of published medical literature, including clinical studies, published literature, and advisories.
In addition to scanning all available clinical resources to develop guidelines for specific clients, we also take a proactive approach:
- Remain aware of clinical developments that could result in changes to guideline status
- Collaborate with you to ensure the resulting clinical guidelines reflect your organization’s unique needs
- Take physician viewpoints into account throughout the guideline development process
Our approach to guideline development is as follows:
- Align guideline with accepted best practices and available evidence-based information
- Present guideline to you for approval
- Monitor the impact of the clinical guideline for six months
- Evaluate whether the guideline works well
- Eliminate or redesign guideline as necessary
The guidelines are designed so they can be used either as internal review documents or within a published service guide, such as a web document. We also host forums and continuing education programs to provide clients with clinical updates.