Medication Therapy Management
According to a 2013 American Pharmacists Association report, average return on investment for medication therapy management programs is approximately 2.1 to 3.1. So, while implementing such a program to ensure appropriate medication use may increase drug costs at first, long-term health outcomes are expected to improve, subsequently leading to decreased costs.
The medication therapy management program at Clinical Pharmacy Services offers customized educational interventions to prevent underutilization, overutilization, inappropriate use, and abuse of certain drugs. We can either develop and implement a program for you, or set one up that you can run with your own staff, as we did recently when we built a medication management program for a large state Medicaid program.
Our medication management services, which can be directed toward patients, caregivers, prescribers, or pharmacies, include the following:
- Identify patients with specific disease states using sophisticated queries
- Analyze prescribing trends
- Intervene and offer medication recommendations designed to improve therapeutic outcomes
- Communicate recommendations to the patient’s care team
- Call patients to ensure they understand how to obtain and properly use the medications they need
- Provide culturally sensitive and easy-to-understand materials and training
At Clinical Pharmacy Services, we go beyond simply evaluating patients’ drug profiles. The medication therapy management pharmacists in our call center use motivational interviewing to determine why your patients may be taking their medications improperly — or maybe not at all. This technique was particularly helpful when we collaborated with Northeastern University on a medication management program for a commercial managed care organization.
This method enhances our communication with patients and makes a difference in their health outcomes:
- Encourages patients to commit to taking medications according to their physicians’ recommendations
- Includes call backs to follow up with patients and confirm that they are taking the medications
- Reaches a target number of calls based on a patient’s risk of not taking medication
- Tracks all interventions, documenting prescribed treatments and patients’ responses to motivational interviewing
Medicare and medication management requirements
Our customizable program model and Medicare experience makes it easy for us to design a medication therapy management program that complies with new rules and addresses your specific needs. We can quickly put together a proposal tailored to your program needs.